Weight loss diets are popular all year long. Whether you are trying to get ready for beach season or you are trying to slim up right before the holiday eating frenzy, there is always room for a diet. One of the more intriguing ideas that have been popping up is the three-day egg diet.
Most people would think, “well, that’s simple eggs for three days,” but there is actually a lot of information worth knowing. Like why it works. Or what the benefits and drawbacks are of doing a diet like this.
That’s why we have taken a deep dive into this diet and are giving you everything we know.
What is the 3-Day Egg Diet?
The three-day egg diet is commonly referenced as an egg fast or just the egg diet (1). There are a few variations, but it doesn’t change vastly because the primary staple is, you guessed it, eggs. It’s generally restricted to three days because it is somewhat of an extreme diet that looks for quick results. Doing it for longer than three days could cause issues.
It was introduced sometime in the 1970s with the idea that it would push people into ketosis. Or a state where the body burns its fat. It was particularly helpful for those who couldn’t get over the last five pounds or get rid of the small baby fat, depending on the version you were trying.
We will get into the different variations you can do under the section that explains how to do it. But first, let’s talk about why people choose this diet and whether it may be a good fit for you or not.
Why Are People Doing It?
Well, as mentioned, there is always a good time to tone up and lose some weight. But people choose this particular diet because it is incredibly low carb, low calorie, and keeps muscle on relative to the amount of weight loss. It’s also a small time commitment compared to some of the other diets that last weeks or months.
Is it a Good Fit for You?
So, with that said, who is this diet for? These are some key pointers and overall statements about the diet that match who should try it.
- Long diets and commitments don’t work for you because discipline is tough
- You have done multiple diets but are looking to shed the last of the weight
- You have a short-term goal in mind
- You don’t mind eating eggs
One of the things that people severely underestimate is the ability to eat eggs for three days. Some people don’t mind it, but if you aren’t a fan of eggs, this diet won’t go particularly well, even if it is just for a short time. Also do not try this diet if you are pregnant or are dealing with any illnesses. You should be in relatively good health if you are trying this diet.
Benefits and Drawbacks
One of the most important things to consider is the health issues that could arise from doing a diet like this. There are a lot of benefits but understanding the drawbacks is equally important.
- Quick weight loss is the biggest attraction of this kind of diet. The reason why this diet promotes such quick weight loss is thanks to the yolk. The yolk is high in choline which metabolizes fat and helps you shed it off. This sends our body into ketosis.
- The egg diet has a special way of getting rid of our cravings. This is partly because eggs have a particular taste that doesn’t really make you think of other foods. And it’s incredibly high in protein which is filling on its own.
- It’s a straightforward diet that is not confusing to follow or requires a lot of meal prep. Sometimes diets that require a lot of work allow people to fall off track quickly because of the amount of prep work and restrictions. The three-day egg diet couldn’t be more simple to follow.
- Constipation is definitely a concern when you are doing a three-day egg diet. This is because you are not going to get enough fiber to help your bowel movements stay on a regular schedule.
- Other things that many experiences during ketosis are low energy and irritability. This is because your body is using all your energy to burn the fat without replenishing that energy. This can cause hunger and irritation. It’s commonly referred to as the keto flu because many experiences it.
- You will definitely have nutritional deficiencies because you are on such a low-calorie restrictive diet. This is why it can be difficult to work out at the same time because you are supplying your body with what it needs.
With the pros and cons, the idea is to meet a certain goal, and indeed, you are likely to with this kind of diet. Still interested? Here is how to do it.
How To Do The 3-Day Egg Diet
You can’t just wake up and eat however many eggs you want. You need to follow some structure that he’s put the body in ketosis (2). This is the most common way to do that.
1) When you wake up eat your first whole egg of the day. It can be hardboiled. This should be within the first 30 minutes of getting up so you can start your body’s digestive system. With the whole egg, you need to consume one tablespoon of fat. This also contributes to your body’s ketosis. Interestingly enough, you will also eat one ounce or less of cheese. Aim for one once.
2) You have to eat six whole eggs throughout the day and eat every three to five hours. So repeat step number one every few hours and eat similar meals. We will go over the list of fats and cheeses that can accompany your egg.
3) Throughout the day, you need to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. You can consume other zero-calorie beverages, but it’s important not to kick your body out of ketosis so sticking with water is always the best bet.
4) Do not eat any eggs within three hours of going to bed. This can mess up your digestive system and your body state but also disrupt the fast. The egg diet is partially fast so keep this in mind when doing it.
Fats You Can Eat
- Olive Oils
- Any healthy fat oils
Cheese You Can Eat
- blue cheese
- string cheese
Do Not Eat
- You will not be able to eat any sugars or processed foods that are high in bad fat. You will stick to the eggs and a few other things that can provide extra nutrition in case you need it.
Foods You Can Add
Not everyone is able to survive off of just six eggs a day. You can add a few other healthy foods that are called variations in the three-day egg diet. These are super lean and healthy proteins. Here is some inspiration.
- Lean proteins such as healthy plain fish, all skinless poultry, lean beef (90 percent and higher) lamb, pork, leafy greens such as spinach and collard greens, or steamed low-carb vegetables.
- You can include some fruit for flavor but not the normal kinds because there is too much natural sugar. You can have tomatoes, lemons, and limes.
- Black coffee is OK if you have a little but remember too much caffeine doesn’t go well with this diet.
Pace The Diet
You should not do this diet for more than five days. The recommendation is three days. But you should also not do three days on one day off and start it again. You need to give your body time to recover from the state you put it into. You can take a break minimally for a week as long as you maintain a healthy diet before trying to do this diet again. It is not a long-term solution.
Know When to Call A Doctor
Since it is not a long-term diet, you aren’t likely to experience any dramatic side effects right away or at all (3). If you follow it right your body should be feeling good after stopping the diet on day four. Some people don’t even notice a change in their mood, hunger, or bowel movements.
However, if you experience severe constipation or other health side effects you should stop the diet immediately and consult your doctor. This could be an underlying condition and continuing with a tough diet like this could adversely affect your health.
Giving It A Try
When it comes to starting a new diet, it’s not easy, but this diet in particular is great for those who have made progress but can’t seem to get over the hump for their final push. When you think of just three days to a dedicated diet, it’s no big deal. But keep in mind that it is a hard diet and should not be tested out for more than three to five days max. This is where potential health risks and problems come into play.
And just remember that you don’t have to go all in on the restrictive diet at once. You can add some other nutritional proteins and foods to ensure that your body is getting what it needs. If you feel the side effects are too strong then you should stop immediately and add in foods that can support a healthy system.
Above all just know that cutting out sugar and highly processed foods is a great start. Keeping these in while trying to do the three-day egg diet will defeat the purpose and hinder all your results.