The humble weight bench; looks a bit bland, a bit boring, and it sometimes looks like a waste of space, but as those who lift weights know, the weight bench is the single most important piece of equipment you can have in your home gym.
Home weight benches really started gaining popularity in the 1990s, and in recent years their popularity has soared. The continued improvement and development of technology have produced some great new weight benches.
Even the best weight benches are relatively cheap compared to monthly gym memberships, and the exercises are relatively straightforward to perform.
A solid weight bench really is essential, it allows you to lift heavy without going to the gym, and a strong, robust bench lets you lift with confidence. The benefits of owning a weight bench go far beyond a big chest through bench pressing. Building muscle through lifting weights also improves body composition, helps boost immunity, improves cardiovascular capacity, and generally improves your overall health and wellbeing.
But what are the factors and features to consider when looking to purchase the best weight bench?
This article will review 17 different best weight benches with their own unique qualities, features, and capabilities. I’ll look at adjustability, durability, dimensions, pros, and cons, along with highlights and takeaways.
Let’s get into it!
- 1. Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0
- 2. Titan Fitness Flat Weight Bench
- 3. XMark Dumbbell Bench, Adjustable Weight Bench
- 4. Rogue Adjustable Bench 2.0
- 5. Titan Fitness Incline Weight Bench
- 6. Monster Utility Weight Bench
- 7. Marcy Flat Utility Weight Bench
- 8. Bodychamp Olympic Weight Bench
- 9. Body-Solid ProClubLine Leverage Weight Bench Press
- 10. REP Fitness Adjustable Weight Bench
- 11. Reebok Professional Aerobic Deck
- 12. Cap Barbell Flat/Incline/Decline Weight Bench
- 13. Marcy Multi-position Utility Bench
- 14. Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench
- 15. PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench
- 16. FLY BIRD Weight Bench, Adjustable Bench
- 17. Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Weight Bench Series
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0
The Rogue Flat Utility Weight Bench is, in my opinion, the undisputed best workout bench. The bench is an extremely versatile piece of equipment, and the price point is hard to go by. As the former Head Sports Advisor to the Japanese Institute of Sports Science, I’ve been to literally hundreds of gyms worldwide and used the highest level gym equipment.
This flat bench is solid, which is exactly what you want when lifting heavy weights; having the knowledge and confidence to lift is paramount for any athlete or user. That’s why I believe it’s the best weight bench out there.
The padding is durable and soft, measuring 2.25 inches in thickness. It’s attached to an angled steel frame and an extremely durable material, providing the user with a well balanced and stable bench.
Dimensions: Length 47″, Width 14″, Height 18″
- A stable, robust flat weight bench
- Extremely well-balanced
- The single-frame design provides durability and safety
- Foam Padding is soft and thick
- The steel frame is 3 inches thick
- Challenging to find a con with this one, although being a utility weight bench, it’s not the easiest to move around
This is the best weight bench that offers everything you want; durability, build quality, comfort, safety, and value for money. It will, without a doubt, help you achieve your fitness goals.
2. Titan Fitness Flat Weight Bench
An excellent heavy-duty bench that can support up to 100lbs of weight makes it an ideal bench for serious lifters. High-density foam padding provides a comfortable surface to lift heavy on, with the bench having a leather type finish.
It’s hard not to overstate the importance of a weight bench that comes with comfortable and durable foam padding, I’ve spoken to many athletes as well as experiencing it before, that uncomfortable feeling of the bench digging into your back as you try lifting heavy; it’s very off-putting.
With the Titan flat bench, it’s not an issue.
The bench comes with wheels and a small handle making it easy to move around, this can not be overstated; anyone who’s lifted weights knows what a hassle it is to move heavy weight benches around the room or gym.
The steel frame build is durable and will last many years. Measuring at 52 inches L, 17 inches W, and 17 inches H, the bench accommodates people of all body types and weight.
- Length: 52-inches
- Width: 17-inches
- Height: 17-inches
- Bench Width: 12-inches
- Bench Length: 48-inches
- Support Capacity: 1,000 lbs
- Competition Bench accredited
- Robust steel frame
- Soft padding
- Beautiful leather materials
- Wheels and handle making it easy to move
- Quite a heavy bench but in saying that, the wheels are a lifesaver
An excellent bench provides the user with an ideal opportunity to build muscle with free weights, sturdy and robust construction with comfort to boot.
The XMark Adjustable Weight Bench offers the full range of movement and adjustability from the decline position to the incline position, allowing for decline bench press and military press exercises.
Any adjustable bench that allows users to hit muscles like the traps, delts, and shoulders is one that you should consider. Far too many times, users and lifters get caught up doing the same flat bench exercises over and over again. With this weight bench, you can perform exercises like the military press and other shoulder targeting movements, which are normally neglected by the weight lifter.
The bench can support up to 1500 pounds of weight, making it possible for you to lift heavy weights with confidence. The wheels make the bench incredibly easy to move in and out of racks or cages, and the handles provide that extra bit of support we all need when lifting heavy.
Dimensions: 85 pounds in total weight
- Dual back supports make it one of the safest incline benches
- High-density foam padding
- Wheels and handles for ease of movement
- Fully adjustable settings
- A little on the high side with the price for workout equipment; however, it’s one of the best benches on the market today
Offering full adjustability, comfort, 1500 pounds of support capacity, and most importantly, wheels that make it very easy to move around, this weight bench hits on all cylinders.
4. Rogue Adjustable Bench 2.0
Good adjustable weight benches are hard to find, but we’ve found one here with the Rogue Adjustable Bench 2.0. With six adjustments on the back and two-seat adjustments, the bench is incredibly comfortable.
One of the most significant selling points is the extremely minimal gap between the bench and back pad. Most benches have a large gap making the lifting experience an uncomfortable one. This may seem like a small selling point to the beginner weight lifter. However, experienced lifters know just how uncomfortable and dangerous a large gap between the flat bench and backrest can be.
The Rogue adjustable bench provides six different positions, which in weight lifting is a good thing, a very good thing; The more positions you have, the more of an overall upper body workout you can get.
- Product Weight of 128LB
- Pad Length 52 inches
- Pad Width 11.25 inches
- Height 17.5 inches, 56.25 inches
- Steel Notes 2×3 inches 11-gauge laser-cut steel
- Foot Print 24.5 inches x 54.5 inches
- Stable and well-balanced
- Minimal gap between back and bench
- Six back adjustments
- Two-seat adjustments
- Wheels and handles are included
- Quite a small padding on the bench, not ideal for people with larger frames.
Fully adjustable, this weight bench provides the customer versatility in the range of exercises you can perform. The minimal gap between the back and bench is one feature more experienced lifters will appreciate.
5. Titan Fitness Incline Weight Bench
The Titan Fitness Weight Bench offers an adjustable seat and back, helping accommodate athletes of all shapes and sizes. The bench moves effortlessly from the incline, decline, and flat positions allowing several different exercises to be performed.
Offering a substantial weight support capacity of 650 pounds, the bench is reliable, stable, and allows users to lift with confidence. Leather padding makes the bench comfortable to use, and the pad thickness measures a full 2 inches.
The weight bench is comfortable and convenient to move around the room or gym with wheels and handles attached.
- Length: 54.6-inches
- Width: 27-inches
- Bench Height: 17.75-inches
- Back: 33.5 inches x 11.8 inches x 2 inches
- Seat: 15.75 inches x 11.8 inches x 2 inches
- Weight Capacity: 650 lbs.
- Product Weight: 45 lbs.
- Fully adjustable bench
- Solid steel frame
- Soft and comfortable padding
- Finished in leather
- The bench is not as stable as some of its competitors and can wiggle a bit on heavier moves.
Overall a good weight bench offers the customer comfort and a high-quality finish for a reasonable price point, perfect for a beginner.
6. Monster Utility Weight Bench
Are you after a weight bench that will not, under any circumstances, move or wobble? Then this is it. The Monster Utility Bench is an absolute beast of a weight bench and is the perfect addition to your home gym, especially if you’re looking for the Pro touch.
There’s nothing worse than picking up the weights, sitting down on the bench, starting your movement, and BOOM, there it is, “The Wobble.” The number of weight benches that wobble is far too many to count; the Monster Utility Weight Bench is not one of them. The workout bench is rock solid and provides support, safety, and confidence to the user when lifting heavy.
Coming in “standard” and “short” sizes are an excellent selling point, as this flat bench caters to pretty much all body types and sizes.
- Standard – 17.5 inches with standard pad, 19.75 inches with Fat Pad
- Short – 15.25 inches with standard pad, 17.5 inches with Fat Pad
- Built to support an enormous amount of weight
- Want your home gym to look Pro? Then this weight bench is for you
- The 24-inch broad base is a huge selling point for heavy lifters
- Solid steel tubing makes for a durable product
- A heavyweight bench is a good thing, but some wheels and a small handle would make it easy to move around
Without a doubt, the best weight bench for those who lift monster weights (pardon the pun); The bench is solid as a rock and gives the user a tremendous amount of confidence while lifting.
The Marcy Flat Utility 600lbs Capacity Weight Bench provides the user with the opportunity to execute a large variety of exercises in tight, compact spaces.
The high-density foam and quality box-stitching offer comfort and durability while still maintaining a classy design. The 14 gauge rectangular steel tubing means the weight bench will stand the test of time, and the 600lbs support capacity makes this one of the best overall benches out there. The 600lbs max weight really is hard to go past; safety is of the utmost importance when weight lifting and this utility bench delivers in spades.
This is an ideal workout bench for those who live in tight spaces; I’ve lived in Japan before, and let me tell you, finding a weight bench that fits into small spaces is not that easy to find.
- 43 x 14 x 17 inches; 20lbs
- A full-body workout is on offer
- Several seat positions
- High build quality, easy to use
- Heavy, durable construction material
- Design is space-saving making it ideal for smaller homes or apartments
- No wheels or handles
One of the best home weight benches by a reputable brand, the bench will hold up over time; Perfect for those with small spaces.
The Body Champ Weight Bench is jam-packed with preacher curl attachment options, helping you develop those massive biceps.The preacher curl feature is a rarity in any home gym, let alone a workout bench. This feature by itself would be enough for me to consider buying this weight bench seriously; it just adds an extra element to the bench and provides you with another upper body movement.
The Body Champ also comes with a built-in squat rack and leg and core attachments, making this one of the most versatile benches on the market. All the workout options on one bench make this the perfect addition to any home gym, particularly if you’re cramped for space and looking for a good deal out of your money.
- 76 x 56 x 55 inches
- Squat rack included
- Core and leg attachments included
- A very reasonable and affordable price point for what you get
- Minimal weight capacity of only 300 lbs
Undoubtedly the best weight bench on the market for those looking for an all-in-one machine, and the squat rack included is a huge plus.
An excellent weight bench that comes with pressing attachments already included, the bench offers the perfect workout for those looking to lift heavy weights regularly.
With the pressing attachments already included, this workout bench suddenly transforms into a home gym with options you’d only expect to see on equipment in a commercial gym. The best weight benches however do just that, they offer the customer much more than just being able to do perform the bench press.
The bench also has arms that move unilaterally and rarely seen on a home gym, gas-assisted press arms. This weight bench is designed explicitly for pressing exercises and is targeted at those experienced in weightlifting.
- 67 x 51 x 55 inches
- Fully adjustable press arms
- Sturdy pegs to hold the weight while not in use
- Durable 11 gauge steel frame
- Several handles for a full workout capability
- Built-in weight storage pegs
- The backbench could be thicker and more robust
The best weight bench on the market for experienced athletes or those who regularly lift heavy.
10. REP Fitness Adjustable Weight Bench
The REP Fitness Adjustable Weight Bench does exactly what it says it will. Portable, adjustable, and well-built, this bench offers 1000 pounds of weight capacity and more than seven lock positions.
1000 lbs weight capacity, let me say that again, 1000 lbs WOW; want to lift huge? Then I’ve found the adjustable bench for you.
With wheels included on the legs and a vinyl coating on the bench, this piece of equipment is not only durable but easy to maneuver.
The wheels on the legs just add so much benefit to a weight bench; I know its only a wheel, but those that have tried moving heavy benches around know just how hard it is, and quite frankly, it can be dangerous, as most benches don’t have handles to lift or move them.
Dimensions: 17.5″ high (in flat position), 54″ long, 26″ wide, 95 lbs
- Easily adjustable ladder style catch
- 1000 pounds of weight support capacity
- Wheels always a big plus on any heavy bench
- An excellent price point for the number of features
- Unfortunately no decline position on the weight bench
The best weight bench for the value on the market today.
Wow – If you train outside as I do, then you’ll love this weight bench. Specifically designed for outdoor use, this all-weather bench is plastic coated and offers three separate incline positions.
Reebok, everyone knows their name, and they’ve been manufacturing clothing and home gym equipment for decades now. The build quality is exceptional, exactly what you’d expect from a big name brand. I have personally used Reebok equipment in a gym setting, and Reebok sponsored a female athlete I coached. They supported her for many years with equipment and personal support.
The weight bench is low to the ground providing a stable base, and because of the plastic coating, the bench can also be used for your step-up exercises. Another great feature is the storage area in the internal part of the bench.
- 43.5 x 8 x 13 inches
- Flat bench is easy to assemble
- Designed for outdoor use
- Does allow for a decline position by removing one leg
- The plastic coating makes it safe to step up on
- Including user and Olympic weight, the weight bench only supports a weight capacity of 330 pounds.
Easily the best weight bench on the market for outdoor use, and the trainer step-up feature is an additional feature many cross-fitters will find comes in handy.
The CAP Strength Barbell Weight Bench provides four different positions, flat, incline, and decline. The bench has a robust foot placement station increasing safety and reducing the risk of injury.
An excellent feature is the dumbbell holders, which provide easy access and storage and are ideal for those who live in tight spaces. Being able to store your weight on the dumbbell holders is a smart feature this weight bench offers. It makes it much easier and safer to pick up the weights and return them after use, not to mention it keeps your floor free from clutter.
- Item Weight – 26lbs
- 4 adjustable positions
- Foam grips
- 300 pounds of weight capacity
- Lightweight bench at only 26 pounds
- A quality bench is possibly too light and wobbles a bit
It’s an excellent weight bench for the customer not looking to spend a lot and those who live in a small apartment or have limited space.
An excellent adjustable bench you’ll find with several incline positions, high-quality materials, and its main feature, it folds away easily. When I lived in Japan, what I would’ve given to find a utility bench that folded away. It’s such a convenient feature and most people probably take it for granted.
The leg attachment adds another benefit to the customer, not only can you get an upper-body workout, you can hit your legs on the alternating days, and to be honest with you, there aren’t many weight benches out there that offer this feature.
Perfect if you don’t have ample space for one of the bigger benches, the Marcy Multi-Position Utility Bench tucks away neatly, keeping your room clutter-free.
- 54 x 19 x 45 inches
- Very easy to use and fold away
- Leg Attachment to develop lower body muscles
- Easily adjustable ladder system for incline bench
- Easy to assemble
- Not the most stable and balanced weight bench on the market
- Not ideal for heavy lifters or bodyweight exercises
All in all, this weight bench does provide value for money, and the fold-away feature is a key selling point.
The Fitness Reality 1000 Super Max Weight Bench comes with two adjustable positions, which double the number of adjustments on the backrest to 12. A good weight bench for those who use dumbbells or other training devices.
12 possible positions on this adjustable bench really make it a standout in the best weight benches category. Remember, the more position available to you, the more muscle groups you can target and in turn develop your upper body to its full potential.
- 59 x 23.5 x 48.5 inches; 35 Pounds
- 800-pound weight support capacity
- Wide weight bench and seat
- Adjustable incline and seat positions
- Simple settings and quick storage
- Easy to move starter bench
- Not the most durable weight bench on the market
A good quality bench for a beginner weight lifter and the foldability is a big plus.
The PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench really is a game-changer when it comes to home gym benches. With 7 easy adjustment positions, a comfortable design, plastic anti-slip surfaces, and ankle roller pads, this bench will not let you down.
The ankle roller pads are enough for me to make the purchase; I’ve always had trouble with shin splints, and anytime I performed leg extensions, the pain on my shins was excruciating. This is an excellent feature as I’m sure many other users have had the same problem as me when performing leg extensions.
The weight bench is made of non-slip PU leather, which is wear-resistant. The bench folds away easily, making it ideal for keeping your room clutter-free.
- Flat Size 55 x 15.75 x 20 inches (L x W x H)
- Backrest Size 29.5 x 12.2 x 2.35 inches
- Seat Size 14 x 12.2 x 2.35 inches
- Fold Size 35.4 x15.75 x10 inches
- Easy storage
- Ergonomically designed and fully adjustable
- High-quality cotton padding
- Premium quality steel design-build
- The price point is a bit high, but you do get a good quality utility bench
The fold-away feature and the seven different adjustment positions really make this weight bench a good addition to any home gym.
The FLYBIRD Weight Bench is a fully adjustable bench with a fold-away fast feature and has seven backrest, three-seat, and two-foot positions. The bench was designed in conjunction with a professional coach and is made of commercial thickness steel.
Being a Professional Coach myself for over 20 years, I can appreciate the importance of having an expert in the industry help design this adjustable bench. The insights an expert can offer when designing a home gym is invaluable; Ensuring the positioning of the seat, backrest, and grips can make all the difference.
The backrest has been upgraded and made of leather and promises to offer no cracking, which is generally a big problem for most benches.
- Weight Capacity: Up to 620LB
- Product Dimensions: 49.2 inch L x 15.7 inch W x 44.5 inch H
- Folded size: 30.3 inch L x 16 inch W x 9 inch H
- Product Weight: 12KG
- High-Quality Build
- 2-inch foam padding/backing
- Easy to assemble with fold-away design
- Durable commercial grade thickness
- The weight bench is a little on the light side and would benefit from a bigger base to help with stability and balance
Great value for money, possibly the best weight bench on the market, and offers an excellent weight capacity of over 600lbs
The Bowflex Tech Weight Bench is an excellent addition to any home gym or workout area and can transform your space into a free weight training hub.
It includes a removable leg brace, which provides additional support to the user when performing decline movements.
The ability to perform decline movements is a huge selling point for this utility bench. I myself love doing the decline bench press but the only place you can find a piece of equipment to perform them is a commercial gym; the Bowflex SelectTech changes all that.
- 56 x 26 x 20 inches
- Incline bench has 6 different adjustable positions
- Heavy-duty construction for a fitness bench
- Positioning support feature
- Wheels provide easy maneuverability
- Quite a high price point
A good solid weight bench builds muscle while helping to reduce injury with an ergonomic and stabilizing design.
Buying a good weight bench is a serious purchase decision because it can affect your home workouts’ overall effectiveness. Consider the information on the products above to make an informed decision when buying your home weight bench.
Remember, safety is of the utmost importance when lifting heavy weights or using workout equipment, so be sure the best weight bench you purchase is strong and durable.
Good luck and safe and heavy lifting!!
What to consider when buying a Weight Bench for your Home Gym
When purchasing the best weight bench, it’s critical to look at the functional features it provides; features such as backrest and seat adjustability, incline/decline positions, additional equipment, wheel handles, and the ability to fold away.
Benches that offer several adjustable positions are excellent for allowing them to perform a wide range of different exercises. In the long run, this helps develop a workout that hits the entire body and provides more than just a weight training session and cardio.
Durability and Build-Quality
An important factor to consider when looking to spend a good portion of your money is durability. Build quality is essential and goes hand in hand with durability.
Look for an Olympic weight bench that is made of thick or commercial grade steel. These steel frames last the test of time, and I’ve said, when spending a lot of money, you don’t want a product that breaks after the first couple of sessions.
Joints, padding, and strong bolts are also features to look for when purchasing your bench. Nylon covers are excellent as they wipe down quickly and are easy to maintain, whereas leather products offer comfort, style, and durability.
The size of the area where you plan on installing your workout benches will affect the size of the bench you look to purchase.
A flat bench that folds away is an excellent choice for those who live in small houses or apartments. If you are lucky enough to have ample space, then look at purchasing a large, heavy bench with a wide base.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Weight Bench?
Depending on your needs, fitness goal, available space, and budget, several weight benches could make the perfect bench for you. No “one” piece of equipment will suit the needs of all people. Take your time before purchasing to make sure you choose the right weight bench for you.
Is The Best Weight Bench Worth It?
Absolutely. If you’re looking to build serious muscle, then purchasing a good quality adjustable weight bench is necessary. You can lift bigger weights with confidence, and it allows you to perform several exercises other than just the conventional bench press, such as bent-over dumbbell rows and chest flyes.
Are Marcy Weight Benches Good?
Although the Marcy Weight Bench is not made to the standards you’d expect to see in a professional gym, it definitely meets the requirements to serve as a solid weight bench for your home gym. Cheap, well-designed, and sturdy, the bench offers excellent value for money.
Do I Need A Bench For A Home Gym?
Depending on your fitness goals you have in mind, the answer can be either yes or no. If you’re just starting as a beginner with weight training, then owning a weight bench is not a must. It’s better to build a foundational strength first; however, owning a utility bench is necessary if you are an experienced lifter. It allows you to lift heavier weights and build stronger muscles.